Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lazy blogger

I discovered that it's pretty easy to stop blogging, especially when you feel confident that no one is reading it.  Not that I really expected anyone to read it other than a few friends and a few family people.  The real purpose of this blog was for me to get a feel for the whole blogging thing in general.  Here's what I learned so far:
 
1.  Lot's of people have blogs.
2.  There are a couple of "blogging sites" out there that provide an easy, customizable interface and do all the hosting for you (like this one).
3.  Many successful blogs host their site using their own domain and their own private or paid-for hosting service.
4.  It's apparently not easy to have a successful blog.
5.  Many people out there have excellent writing skills, but very few people out there can provide a continuous stream of useful or intriguing content.
 
So what are my blogging plans for the future?  I may begin to search for a niche topic - something that I'm interested in and could provide a unique angle on.  I have some ideas, but they need further exploration before I can make a final determination.
 
I have been tinkering with WordPress (open source blogging web software in php).  It is a useful tool and has all the features I would need or want to host my own blogging site.  I am a little bit lacking in knowledge on CSS and other techniques used to customize the software.  However, I have learned a lot and I think with a bit more time I can make it useful.
 
I'll update again with possible blog ideas as I get them.

No comments: