Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I just realized I have to dust...

Apparently the cleaning crew at my office doesn't dust.  I suppose that deep down I knew this already, but it didn't consciously occur to me until I started cleaning up my office for the 2nd time in 2.5 years.  Apparently they do vacuum though, which leads me to my proposed solution below. 
 
I know you aren't supposed to use those fluffy dusters-on-a-stick because they mostly just deploy the dust particles into the air, only to re-settle a few minutes later.  However, statistically, if I repeatedly dust off the elevated surfaces, I will be dust free (or close enough).  This works for the same reason that road debris ends up on the shoulder or in between two lanes.  Cars basically keep hitting it until it lands in a spot that is out of the way. 
 
The same goes for the dust.  I will continuously dust it off of the elevated surfaces and let it re-settle.  However, each time some of the dust will re-settle on the elevated surfaces and some will fall to the floor.  The more I do this the closer I will get to 0 dust particles on the elevated surfaces.  I suspect, however, that this is asymptotic and I will never reach zero.  But it doesn't really matter because "close" is definitely good enough in this case.
 
 

No comments: