Tuesday, December 30, 2008

PBS Update

Just a quick update on the web site PaperBackSwap.com...
 
I initially listed, and mailed off, around 15 of my books that I was no longer interested in keeping.  This gained me an equivalent amount of "book credits" to spend on book that I wanted to request from other members.  The problem was that none of the "good books" were available and had very long waiting lists.  I was a bit put off because I unknowingly listed some of my very "good" books, which got snatched up immediately.  Apparently, in order to actually receive a book that was a best seller in the past 10 years, you need to be very patient (to the tune of 6 to 12 months it seems).  Considering the only best sellers that people actually seem to list are from people like me who are new to the site and don't know any better.
 
Of course I have since added more books to my request list and have received about 6 or 7 to date.  These are books that are older best sellers, or simply useful guide type books that are 5+ years from their copyright date.  To be fair, I am satisfied with the site - though not enough to push it on anyone.
 
Here's the problem with PaperBackSwap.com (though none of the member community will admit it)... their self-made book economy is flawed because they allow the purchase of book credits.  I firmly believe that without the option to purchase credits, the site would work wonderfully.  Instead, anyone can purchase a book credit for very cheap (around $3).  This means that you can sign up as a new member and put hundreds of nice hardback best sellers on your wish list, and wait.  When your name comes up and the book is available it will hold the book for you while you purchase a cheap book credit, then let you complete the request.  So you can basically end up getting the best book on the site, without having to list a single book of your own.
 
The problem this creates is an enormous balance skew of demand vs. supply.  There is a huge demand for the books that are in least supply.  If there was no option to purchase book credits, then the only way that people could generate a credit would be when another member requests a book that you have listed.  This would maintain a balance of supply vs. demand since you basically receive no credits unless you list books that there is at least some demand for.
 
I understand that the creators of the site need to make money to keep the site going.  However, by selling book credits they have put the site into a tailspin that is probably irreversible.  Despite this fact, the site has been around quite awhile.  Although I do not know when they stated selling book credits.  While PBS is the biggest site of this type currently out there, others exist and they seem to be growing pretty fast.  The problem for me is that I already dumped most of my expendable books.  Guess I'll have to hit the yard sales this spring!

No comments: